التقى الرئيس الأمريكي دونالد ترامب بزعيم كوريا الشمالية كيم جونغ أون في المنطقة المنزوعة السلاح بين الكوريتين، وعبر الحدود إلى كوريا الشمالية في خطوة غير مسبوقة.
على طول الساحل العُماني يخرج يوميا ألاف الصيادين، رحلات الصيد التى تمتد لساعات، يملؤها “أهل البحر” كما يطلق عليهم بأغان يسجلون خلالها تجاربهم وآمالهم.
ثلاث فتيات من القاهرة وصعيد مصر تحدين العادات والتقاليد لممارسة مهنة غير تقليدية للنساء في بلدهن.
السلطات السودانية تؤكد مقتل 7 أشخاص وإصابة العشرات في المظاهرات التي شهدتها العديد من مناطق البلاد الأحد، ونائب رئيس المجلس العسكري يتهم “قناصة” باستهداف المتظاهرين وعناصر قوات الدعم السريع.
Left- and rightwing demonstrators marched again in Oregon, leading to blocked traffic and skirmishes with law enforcementPolice use pepper spray as multiple groups protest in downtown Portland. Photograph: Dave Killen/APPolice declared a civil disturbance in Portland, Oregon, on Saturday afternoon, after a day of duelling political protests culminated in brawls and standoffs between demonstrators and law enforcement.By 3pm more than 400 leftwing marchers had blocked traffic in parts of downtown. Demonstrators occupied streets adjacent to Pioneer Courthouse Square, where police repeatedly warned them to disperse. Some were involved in altercations with officers in riot gear who deployed pepper spray and made three arrests. Others clashed intermittently with rightwing protesters.The leftwing march evolved from an early afternoon rally in a downtown park organized as a counter-protest to two rightwing events. The rally organized by local group PopMob began as a vegan milkshake-themed rally and dance party, in response to rallies announced by the Proud Boys and by a group led by Haley Adams, a local rightwing figure. Adams’ event attracted around 25 people.Milkshakes, recently used around the world as a symbolic weapon against prominent figures on the far right, became a theme of the day. Portland police claimed without offering evidence that some milkshake cups had been filled with quick-drying cement.Actual milkshakes were used by leftwing protesters. A videographer and editor for the rightwing magazine Quillette, Andy Ngo, had one dumped on him early in the day.Another incident involving Ngo captured attention, particularly on the right. Widely shared video taken by the Oregonian journalist Jim Ryan appeared to show Ngo being hit by counter-protesters and sprayed with silly string. Ryan tweeted: “Didn’t see how this started, but Ngo got roughed up.”Ngo said he had been attacked and hospitalised, and posted to social media pictures of apparent facial abrasions. With significant backing from rightwing media and political figures, by late Saturday a crowdfunding website for Ngo had raised more than $60,000.Notable by his absence on Saturday was the local rightwing figurehead Joey Gibson, who had announced that he would be leading a second amendment rights rally in Goldendale, Washington.After a violent incident at a Portland bar, Cider Riot, after May Day celebrations, Gibson was the subject of a million dollar lawsuit brought by the bar’s owners. He has made videos asking viewers to donate to a crowdfunding campaign, to cover his legal expenses.
US President Donald Trump on Sunday hailed trade talks with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping as “far better than expected” and vowed to hold off on further tariffs as negotiations continue. The ceasefire that halts damaging trade frictions came after a hotly anticipated meeting between the leaders of the world’s top two economies on the sidelines of the G20 summit.
REUTERSThe United States will resume sales of products to Huawei Technologies, the Chinese telecom equipment manufacturer, President Donald Trump said in his post-G20 press conference Saturday in Osaka.The action appears to be a surrender to publicly issued Chinese demands.Effective May 16, the U.S. Commerce Department added Huawei, the world’s largest telecom-equipment manufacturer, to its Entity List. As a result, no American company, without prior approval from the Bureau of Industry and Security, may sell or license to Huawei products and technology covered by the U.S. Export Administration Regulations.Trump Smirked as He Surrendered Western Values to Putin at the G-20 Summit in OsakaIn recent weeks, Beijing had demanded the Trump administration withdraw the designation. On Thursday, for instance, the Wall Street Journal reported that Huawei’s removal was one of China’s three main preconditions to a trade deal. The other two demands were the lifting of tariffs Trump had imposed under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 and the end to Washington’s efforts to get China to buy U.S. goods in excess of what was agreed in December 2018.American companies had begun complying with the Entity List prohibition, but Intel, Qualcomm, and other chip suppliers have lobbied the Trump administration to ease the ban on Huawei, which American officials believe poses a threat to American national security. Washington, to inhibit Chinese spying, is trying to persuade American allies to not install Huawei equipment in soon-to-be-built 5G telecommunications networks.Trump, however, undercut these efforts Saturday by making it appear that his Huawei campaign was merely a tactic to gain an advantage in the so-called “trade war” with China.Trump, in response to a reporter’s question at the Osaka press conference, refused to confirm he would be taking Huawei off the Entity List, and he did mention there would be a meeting Sunday or Tuesday on the topic. Nonetheless, the president’s initial words made it clear that his administration would resume the flow of high-tech American products to the embattled Chinese company.Trump’s just-announced concession on Huawei mirrors his reprieve last May of ZTE, another large Chinese telecom-equipment maker. Trump, in what he described as a “personal favor” to Chinese ruler Xi Jinping, removed ZTE from the Entity List. Trump, in his initial comments at the press conference in Osaka, said that Huawei matters would be decided at the end of the trade talks. Presumably this is a reference to efforts of his administration last month to prevent the company from selling telecommunications equipment to American network operators—Trump last month issued an executive order on the subject—and perhaps a reference to the Justice Department’s criminal prosecutions of Huawei and its chief financial officer, Meng Wanzhou. The U.S. has filed an extradition request for Meng, currently held in Vancouver.Trump also mentioned at the press conference that he would not be imposing any additional tariffs on Chinese goods. Previously, he had threatened to tariff an additional $325 billion of such products.In other comments, Trump said trade talks would resume and that China had agreed to start buying American farm products.Is a Trump-Kim DMZ Photo-Op in the Works?In short, Trump’s actions, as he detailed them at the Osaka press conference, were nothing short of extraordinary, apparently dropping actions to further American national security in order to obtain China’s purchase of primary products. The American president may eventually say he did not do that, but it is clear that Xi Jinping has just shown the world who’s boss by forcing his American counterpart to accede to his widely publicized demands. It looks like Trump just surrendered to China.Read more at The Daily Beast.Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.
Harvey Weinstein’s new lawyer has said women need to take responsibility for their actions, as she argued the MeToo movement had done a disservice to the sex. Donna Rotunno, who specialises in representing men accused of sex crimes, was hired by the disgraced producer along with Damon Cheronis to represent him at his upcoming trial on sexual assault charges. Ms Rotunno has critcised the MeToo movement which began after a string of celebrities came forward to make allegations against Mr Weinstein. “I’m not a woman who has ever subscribed to it,” she told the Wall Street Journal. “I believe women are responsible for the choices that they make.” She added that by representing the movie producer she hoped to promote that stance, “and say to women, ‘Maybe don’t go to the hotel room, maybe we are having a different conversation’”. It comes as a leaked recording shows Mr Weinstein telling reporters “I’m no sinner” shortly before the allegations against him were first published. On the call, two New York Times reporters tell Mr Weinstein they have uncovered “a pattern over three decades of allegations of sexual harassment of multiple women” and offer the producer a chance to respond. “I think you ought to be specific and tell me who they are and if they’re on the record,” he demanded. He added: “I’m not a saint, but I’m not the sinner you think I am.” Challenging the reporters’ findings, Mr Weinstein warns: “There are many mistakes you’ve made. I promise we will find them.” 33 Hollywood stars who have spoken out about Harvey Weinstein He later says: “It seems like you have a lotta hearsay on your hands. I’m gonna say this nicely – get the facts right. … You’re journalists.” The recording was obtained by the websiteInside Edition, which said the reporters were unaware the conference call was being recorded. Mr Wesintein’s new legal hires, confirmed on Friday, are his third change in legal representation since he was first charged in May 2018 and comes barely two months before the start of his trial. Mr Weinstein faces charges involving two different women – one who alleges he raped her in 2013, the other that he forced her to perform oral sex in 2006. In an interview with Chicago Magazine last year, Ms Rotunno questioned the MeToo movement’s insistence on “believing the women.” “We are in an era of conviction by allegation in this country right now,” she said, “which flies in the face of the entire principle of innocent until proven guilty.” She also said that as a woman, she had an advantage on her male counterparts when it came to aggressively cross-examining alleged female victims. “He may be an excellent lawyer, but if he goes at that woman with the same venom that I do, he looks like a bully. If I do it, nobody even bats an eyelash. And it’s been very effective.” Harvey Weinstein with former lawyer Benjamin Brafman Credit: AFP Mr Weinstein’s first lawyer, a high-profile New York defence attorney Ben Brafman, withdrew from the case in January. His replacements, Harvard law professor Ronald Sullivan and Jose Baez, pulled out one after another six months later. Prof Sullivan withdrew after coming under intense pressure from students on campus for defending the man seen as having given rise to the MeToo movement. Mr Baez later backed out citing “fundamental disagreements” with Mr Weinstein and telling a judge that his client’s behaviour had made representing him “unreasonably difficult.” The date of Mr Weinstein’s trial remains unchanged, with jury selection schedule to begin on September 9. The new lawyers have agreed to the date in court filings, according to US media reports. Mr Weinstein denies the claims against him.